- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed
- ½ lb. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 c. whole milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ½ tsp. pepper
- chopped chives (to taste)
- juice from 1 grated onion
- 4 T. melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with melted butter.
- Cut in cubes.
- Arrange in alternate layers with bread cubes and cheese in a small, lightly greased baking dish (6×10) or soufflé dish.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and pour over bread/cheese layers.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake 1 hour until lightly browned and puffed.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.