- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. red curry paste, more to taste
- 2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces, about 4 C.
- 2 C. low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
- 1-14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 C. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 C. shredded coconut, toasted (optional)
- Lime wedges
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry paste, sugar and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in squash, broth and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in shrimp and simmer just until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro, sprinkle with coconut and serve with lime wedges on the side. Serves 4 to 6.